Music Together is an internationally recognized early childhood music and movement program for children from birth through age 7—and the grownups who love them. First offered to the public in 1987, it pioneered the concept of a research-based, developmentally appropriate early childhood music curriculum that strongly emphasizes and facilitates adult involvement.
Music Together classes are based on the recognition that all children are musical. All children can learn to sing in tune, keep a beat, and participate with confidence in the music of our culture, provided that their early environment supports such learning.
Music Together was founded by Ken Guilmartin and Lili Levinowitz, Ph.D, and first offered to the public in 1987 at the Center for Music and Young Children (CYMC) in Princeton, NJ. Since then, it has grown to and international program offered in many countries all over the globe.
Jax Music Together: In 2002, Marilyn Scola, a member in attendance at Avondale Baptist Church (now Grace Church of Avondale), approached me about teaching Music Together ® classes. Her granddaughter had attended Music Together in Switzerland and Marilyn was sold on the program. I went through initial training in Seattle with Lili Levinowitz, and fell in love with Music Together! I have since received my Certification I designation, and plan to continue my education.
In the ensuing years, Grace Church of Avondale has been the home base for Jax Music Together, and welcomed and hosted our program. Hundreds of families have attended and been a part of the big, wonderful Music Together family! Many families have had several children who have attended the classes, making it a family tradition.
Since that time, Jax Music Together has expanded to several other locations (see the “Locations” tab).The Riverside Arts Market (RAM) has also graciously allowed us to use the Childrens’ Corner for Music Together activities on Saturdays. In short, you can hardly travel anywhere in Jacksonville without meeting someone who has either attended or knows or is related to someone involved past or present in Music Together classes.
— Marcia Winnard
Music Together Is...
- A community of families sharing songs, instrument play, rhythm, chants, and movement activities in a relaxed, playful, non-performance-oriented setting.
- Music learned through developmentally appropriate activites that support and respect the unique learning styles of very young children.
- Infants, toddlers, and preschoolers participating at their own levels in family-style classes of mixed ages.
- Parents and caregivers contributing to the enrichment of their childâ€™s music environment-regardless of their own musical abilities.
- A new song collection every semester for three years, featuring great arrangements of original and traditional songs in a wide variety of tonalities, meters, and cultural styles.
45 minutes of pure fun with your child every week!